Monday, July 16, 2012

The Pot Stirrer

Have you ever had one of those weeks that God just stuck His big hand in and decided to stir the pot a bit?  I am reminded of the old spiritual, "Wade in the Water," that promises:

Wade in the Water
Wade in the Water, Children
Wade in the Water...God's gonna trouble the water

Boy, does he ever!  Notice I said promises rather than warns.  To me, a warning has a scary connotation to it...like "Oh crap...here comes a Mack truck!"  kind of thing.  But a promise...a promise is something special, full of potential that you didn't know your life had.  

Yeah, I'm getting rather philosophical here (yawn).  

If you saw my last post, Moonbeams, you know that I was in a funk last week.  After I posted that little nugget, my friend Kristi sent me an "All you alright? Anything I can do?" email.  Isn't that the best?!  How great is it to have people that "check in" with you, just to see how you're doing?  


My deepest desire has often been for God to make me different...a less obsessive, neurotic, more chillaxed version of myself.  As if He is a fast order cook that I can send my personality order to.  As if He did not know exactly what he was doing when he knit me together.  


Here's where the pot-stirring comes in.  You know how you read or hear something one time and it just kinda sticks?  I was flipping through the Bible and I found this great scripture that stuck like white on rice and I wrap it around me like a soft blanket when things are rough.

And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.  Romans 8:26, New Living Translation (2007) 

What a gift!  I really believe that. When I am too weary, disappointed, weak, etc... the Holy Spirit knows my heart and does my praying for me.  

This week, when I was not feeling the Kate-love, God interceded and literally blew my mind by the precious souls he placed in my path. So much of life is the every day, doldrums of ordinary life.  It's about putting one foot in front of the other and doing what needs to be done.  So, when someone or something is placed in our path like a breath of fresh air, we need to sit up and take notice!

A few days ago, I spoke to my college roommate, Kate, who is newly single and enjoying her life as single lady and mother.  We have stayed close through the years, largely due to her efforts (I'm embarrassingly slow about returning phone calls) and our deeply rooted shared history.   Kate knew me when I didn't know how to work a washing machine or write a check and she held me as I cried hysterically (seriously ugly) while my mom drove away from my dorm. We don't get to talk as often as we'd like, but when we do...look out!  We talk until our cheeks are sore from being pressed up against the receiver.

Inevitably, we always get on a roll about the old days, like two old ladies reliving the glory days.  Only, they were not so glorious for yours truly.  Oh, hell no.  More like the worst growing pains experienced since Sybil!  I said as much to my dear friend, who lived with me for four years, and her response left me humbled.  She said, "Don't ever say that!  Those were wonderful years.  They were incredibly hard, and sometimes painful, but I wouldn't trade them for anything.  You know why?  Because I was with you!  And you loved me when I wouldn't let anyone else."

Wow.

I have often wondered why "the best years of your life" were the worst for me.  But, Kate, (as usual) gave me some brilliant perspective!  If for nothing else, I think I struggled through those painful years, so that I could have the honor of sharing my life with the incredible ladies of Meredith College.  We may have drifted apart in the craziness of marriage, babies, and careers but I will love each of them until the day I die...Debi, who was my constant movie date and cake eating companion, Sarah, who let me use her head as a human canvas on which to practice my hair cutting skills, Colleen, who giggled and turned red every time she walked in on me in my underwear, Meredith, who could make me laugh so hard I'd pee myself, and Kate, who mothered me and made sure I didn't nap through my classes.  I could go on and on, but you get the gist.

We laughed, we fought, we cried, and we broke all the rules together.  It was glorious, indeed.

Today, I cherish the times when I can hear about their busy lives and see what amazing women they've turned out to be.  My good friend, Kate, has become one of the most inspiring people I know.  She's had every reason lately to be pissed off or bitter, but instead she just oozes compassion and love.  We do not share the exact same faith, but I am inspired by her beautiful spirit and her ability to see the beauty in others, and point it out to them.  What a gift!

Thanks, Meredith girls, for getting me through "the best years of my life".   I wouldn't have survived without you. 
























 

3 comments:

  1. I am sure the Holy Spirit has prayed for me many, many times. Life sure isn't easy, praise God that we have His love and the Holy Spirit filling us and praying for us!

    Oh and any time you're not feeling the Kate love, email me. I'll give you my cell # and we can chat. ok? Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Isn't it strange that we haven't actually met?! Thanks for the kind words!

      Delete
  2. BTW: I had a reply typed out before that one and deleted it. The first reply also said that I am so glad you had friends that loved you through your hardest years. God puts people where we need them, when we need them. Thank goodness for that!

    ReplyDelete