Monday, November 5, 2012

Haunted Lil' House

 
  In the spirit of Halloween I thought I'd share my haunted Little People dollhouse story.  Don't laugh! It's legit, yo.  Let me set the scene for you.  Picture this. Early this morning, around 4:30 am, I was asleep up in my bed, all toasty and warm, snuggled up with Lilah and our schnauzer who was perched in his usual spot above my head.  We were sleeping peacefully.  When all of a sudden, there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter...sorry, wrong holiday. 

This is where it gets interesting.

I realized that a tune had woken me from a dead sleep; specifically, Brahms' "Lullaby," A.K.A. "Lullaby and Goodnight".   Groggy and confused, I thought I was dreaming.  The sound stopped.  Just minutes later, it began to play again.  By the third or fourth time of this, I raised my head off the pillow and began to search for the source.  Initially, I thought the tune must be coming from one of our cell phones.  Perhaps, Hubby chose a sweet lullaby to gently nudge him from sleep at 4:30?? It certainly seemed like an alarm clock, going off every three minutes or so.  But, alas, only one cell phone in the room and it was mine.  

So, I began to explore the floor of my bedroom, which was littered with toys because we don't use our perfectly, nice playroom.  Oh no! Mommy's floor is preferable. I sat motionless on the floor for a few minutes and sure enough, "Lullaby and Goodnight"... dee dee dee dee, dah dee dee.  Ah ha!  It was coming from the Little Peeps' House.  Little bastards!  

But here's the thing: in order to produce that tune, you literally have to push the shutters away from the second story window.  We have owned that dollhouse since Savannah was three and I can safely say, it has NEVER played by itself.  Not to mention, the thing has been on my floor for three pathetic months without so much as a peep.   It does not play by itself, period. 
 
Now, had I been thinking logically, I would have picked up the damn thing and shoved it in a closet somewhere.  But, NOOOOOOO.   I crawled back into bed, more than a bit freaked out.  A few minutes of silence passed.  Then, it played TWO TIMES in a row.  

I began to pray quietly.  Yep.  "Dear Jesus, please make it stop, okay?"  

Another TWO TIMES.  

Then, just to cover all my bases, I appealed to my Uncle Frank, who passed away a few years ago and I miss terribly.  "Uncle Frank,  if this is your idea of a joke, it's not funny."  

At this point, I searched for Hubby who predictably had fallen asleep on the couch.  

Me: "Pssst!  Wake up!"

Hubby: "Hmmm?" 

Me: "Get up!  The Little People keep playing their song. You must get in bed with us!"

Hubby: "Okay."  

Do I even need to tell you that once Hubby got in bed with us the lullaby stopped?  Well, it's true.  Freaky.  Needless to say, the Little People have been exiled like tubby, little refugees.  If I had more courage and a scientific mind, I would see if that sucker would play again tonight.  As if!  I have been known to enjoy an occasional ghost hunting show for a goof, but let me be clear.  Mama don't play like that in her house!  No thanks.  

Do you have a freaky-middle of the night-disturbance story?  Check out my cousin, Peach Prenni's,  Bride of Chucky experience. 

 

2 comments:

  1. I hate toys that make noise!!! I've experienced this before! Not with little people (: but with Jeremiah's robot. Since I work nights I usually am in the house by myself during the day sleeping. On a couple occasions I would hear the robot talking and moving in Jeremiah's room....I finally had to get rid of that thing!!!
    Everyone thought it was funny but I really would get scared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie Bug - This would have freaked me out too! I watch way too many episodes of Ghost Adventures! I think that dollhouse needs to go bye bye! Or at least it needs to go in the playroom upstairs! :)
    Love you!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete